About BSCThe Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 500 staff from 44 countries.
Context And Mission
Professor Nataša Pržulj is loking for several post-docs to work on analyzing large-scale molecular and patient data to aid personalizing treatment. The successful candidates will work on the prestigious ERC Consolidator grant of Prof. Pržulj titled “Integrated Connectedness for a New Representation of Biology”.
The successful candidate will address multiple topics: developing and applying sophisticated models and algorithms carefully tuned to extract relevant biological and medical knowledge from systems-level real-world molecular and medical data, including whole genome sequences, epigenetic data, protein-protein interaction networks, signaling networks, metabolic networks, transcriptional regulation networks, gene and disease ontologies, drug similarity networks, drug-target interactions, drug-drug interactions, patient records, lifestyle data, electronic health records etc.; the aim is to mine these inter-linked heterogeneous networked data for new biological and medical insight that would lead to improving diagnostics, discovering new biomarkers, improving patient stratification and treatment, personalizing treatment and facilitating rational drug development. The successful candidate will join a dynamic research group of Prof. Przulj within BSC. He or she will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, will have access to systems and computational infrastructures, and will establish collaborations with experts in different areas.
- Conduct high-quality research
- Publish in high impact journals and conferences
- Present research at national and international conferences and meetings
- Collaborate with various research groups across Europe and elsewhere
- Help supervise PhD and MSc students
- Participate in grant writing and organizational activities
- Participate in educational and outreach activities
- PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Bioinformatics, or a related field
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Good publication record for the career stage
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Good technical skills including at least several of the following: algorithms, data analysis, graph, network and complexity theory, scientific computing, statistics, machine learning, programming in C, C++, a scripting language and Matlab, using a parallel computing environment, bioinformatics, network biology, network medicine, network analytics, medical informatics.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap
All applications must include:
- A full CV including contact details and publication list.
- Academic transcripts from all Undergraduate, MSc and PhD degrees.
- Three letters of recommendation. The references should email their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A statement of motivation and research interests.
DeadlineThe vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
Original source and applications: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/270lsicbr2