INB/ELIXIR-ES and the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC), in collaboration with ELIXIR-CH and ELIXIR-IT, in the framework of the ELIXIR-CONVERGE project, will host an online Train-the-Trainer course on 23-26 November 2021.
To increase the competencies of support staff about Data Management Training, this course is mainly addressed to Trainers and prospective Trainers, who are interested in improving their teaching methodologies, especially about topics like Data Management (DM), Data Management Plans (DMP) and Data Stewardship (DS).
Course: Train the Trainer
Location: Online (zoom)
Dates: 23-26 November 2021 (13:30-17:00h CET, Friday sessions finish at 17:30h)
The ELIXIR Train the Trainer program (TtT) aims to build a network of trainers to allow them to benefit from reciprocal support and discussion. ELIXIR TtT courses aim to give new instructors tools and tips for providing an enriching learning experience to trainees, irrespective of the topic, and to include best-practice guidance on course and training material development. At the end of each session, targeted discussions about DM/DMP/DS training challenges will be addressed.
Content of the course:
- Review of learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
- Session, course, and material design
- Training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- Assessment and feedback in training
- To get acquainted with Learning principles and how they apply them to training
- To be able to select and utilize training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- To learn how to use assessment and feedback in training
- To learn about session, course, and materials design
Event intended for:
Whoever is interested in becoming a teacher or a better one, especially in topics like Data Management, Data Manangement Plans and Data Stewardship. If you have questions like the following ones, this course may be very helpful to you:
- How does learning works?
- How can I use learning principles and theories to improve my teaching?
- How can I make my teaching more engaging and effective?
- How should I adjust my teaching to different types of learners?
- How can I help slow learners?
- How can I assess whether my students are actually understanding my lessons? Are they actually learning?
- What is the best balance between theory and practice?
- How can I best assess whether learning is occurring and/or has occurred?
- What works in a classroom and what doesn’t?
- How can I become a better teacher?
Pre-requisites: No special prerequisites are requested. However, having some experience in teaching any field or being willing to teach would be a plus.
A maximum of 20 participants will be enrolled in this course. Priority will be given to candidates from Spanish institutions and ELIXIR nodes, and those applicants with DM/DS profiles or with prospectives to organise training in DM/DMPs/DS. The participants will be selected to spread the knowledge to as many institutions as possible.
The pre-registration will remain open until 3 November midnight CET, and notifications of acceptance will be sent by 5 November. No cancellations will be accepted after 15 November.
Pre-registration: application form
Fee: The course is free of charge. Please inform us asap if you will not be able to attend after the registration, to allow another person to participate. Otherwise, a no-show-up fee will be charged to your institution.
- Patricia Palagi, ELIXIR-CH Training Coordinator, SIB, CH. Patricia Palagi has a BSc in Biology and an MSc in Computer Sciences from the University of Brasilia, Brazil, and a PhD in Cognitive Sciences from the INPG, Grenoble, France. She joined the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics in 1997, and since 2014 she leads the SIB Training group. Among others, she is also Editor for the Education track of the PLOS Computational Biology journal and the ELIXIR Training Coordinator for Switzerland. She used to teach programming and bioinformatics years ago, and today she' is a proud ELIXIR Train the Trainer instructor.
- Allegra Via, IBPM-CNR, ELIXIR-IT. Allegra Via is a scientific researcher at IBPM-CNR in Italy. She has a MSc degree in Physics and a PhD in Cellular and Molecular Biology. Her main areas of research are bioinformatics and computational biology. She is the Training Coordinator of ELIXIR Italy and the co-lead of the Capacity Building tasks for the ELIXIR Training Platform. As such, she also works in the field of the Science of Learning and Teaching, and is constantly involved in the design, organisation, and delivery of bioinformatics training courses, in Train the Trainer activities, in projects related to data and software management, and research software development.
- Roland Krause, Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine, ELIXIR-LU. Roland Krause is research scientist at the University of Luxembourg. He has a Phd in Biochemistry from the University of Heidelberg. He is a project manager in international projects in epilepsy genetics and a researcher on the bioinformatics of epilepsy. As training coordinator for ELIXIR-Luxembourg he designs and delivers training around reproducible data science and the qualifications of educators.
- Eva Alloza, Training coordinator, INB/ELIXIR-ES Coordination node, BSC
- Nadia Tonello, Head of Data Management, BSC