IRB Barcelona seeks to recruit a Bioinformatician to join the BBGlab of Dr. Núria López-Bigas at the IRB Barcelona. They seek a highly motivated bioinformatician to work in a Cancer Genomics Research group. The position is to work on developing bioinformatics tools, she/he will be developing and improving analysis pipelines in close collaboration with postdocs and software engineers. The candidate will actively participate in highly translational research, contributing to applications to support the interpretations of cancer mutations in the clinics. The ideal candidate would know about cancer genomics and have experience in developing bioinformatics pipelines and in data analysis. She/he should have strong analytical skills, creativity, curiosity, enthusiasm, and ability to work in a team.
This position will be financed by the project "Somatic mutations and clonal hematopoiesis as risk factors in atherosclerosis: from the laboratory to the clinic (AtheroClonal)”.
The successful candidate will participate in the development, update, improvement, and maintenance of different cancer genomics tools developed within the Group. In particular, the applicant will be responsible for the development and maintenance of Cancer Genome Interpreter and other tools such as Intogen and BoostDM. Tasks may include developing new analysis modules in these tools, improving the analysis of different types of mutations (SNVs, indels, CNA, fusions, germline mutations), connecting the tools to different cancer genomic databases, and implementing functionalities to adapt the tools to clinical practice.
In addition, the candidate will:
- Provide assistance and support to several research projects
- Prepare Technical Reports in cooperation with the PI or other researchers
- Take part in interdisciplinary meetings.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS
Must Have – Required
- A Master's degree in Bioinformatics, Computational-related Sciences or Biomedical Sciences
- Professional experience with a similar role and/or in a related field
- Programming skills in Python
- Fluency in English
- PhD in the field of bioinformatics or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience in Cancer Genomics and Precision Oncology.
- Experience in analysis of NGS data (WGS, WES, gene panels)
- Experience in pipeline development.
- Strong programming skills in Python, including data analysis, visualization and exploration packages, such as numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, matplotlib, seaborn, and jupyter-notebook.
- Experience with databases and clinical data management.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in international teams.
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative research team, and ability to comply with tight deadlines.
- Willingness to learn if missing any of the above
Nice to have
- Experience in collaborative software development using Git.
- Familiarity with high-performance computing (parallel execution, computational pipelines, workload managers…).
- Experience in the development, generation, and use of software containers, e.g.
- Docker, Singularity
- Experience in cloud computing.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of an established research group.
- Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
- Deadline for applications: 13/09/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Selection process:
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
- You can apply for the job offer in the original page.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.