Context And Mission
The INB has recently incorporated two overarching objectives: increase the alignment of its activities with ELIXIR, and increase the translational impact of INB actions towards the Spanish National Health System (SNS). For the later objective, the INB has created and supported TransBioNet (Translational Bioinformatics Network) which aims to structure, bring together and work with bioinformatics groups at healthcare settings with a special focus on the Health Research Institutes (IIS) recognized by the ISCIII.
The INB is looking for a junior Bioinformatics Data Analyst who will join their team in the framework of a new project to organise COVID-19 data in Spain, contributing to developing a computational infrastructure for secure data storage and analysis across regions. This work will involve close coordination with other groups in Spanish health Centres, and with infrastructure providers within and outside the BSC.
- Contribute to the development of a computational infrastructure for secure COVID-19 data storage and analysis.
- Manage and support users of the INB computational resources, including computational equipment, databases, and software infrastructure.
- Develop, document and maintain the processes for extracting and organizing COVID-19 data from projects belonging to the ISCIII-funded project in this area.
- Develop, document and maintain software for the integration and biological data, following the guidelines of ELIXIR and the European COVID-19 data portal.
- BSc or MSc. in bioinformatics, computational biology or computer sciences with significant bioinformatics experience.
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- At least 1 year of professional experience with a similar role.
- Experience in cloud computing.
- Experience in data management APIs and most common bioinformatics data sources and formats.
- Experience in database design and management (SQL and NoSQL): MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SQLite or similar; MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Cassandra or similar.
- Experience with advanced software packaging procedures.
- At least 1.5 years of professional experience in programming languages ecosystems such as C++, Perl, Python, PHP and/or Java.
- Experience working with Unix/Linux systems.
- Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience in the development, generation and use of software containers, e.g. Docker, Singularity, as well as their orchestration and deployment, e.g. using docker-compose, Kubernetes, Ansible and/or similar technologies.
- Experience in developing project technical specifications.
- Ability to understand scientific literature, and software documentation.
- Ability to communicate scientific results.
- Ability to work independently.
- Used to work under pressure under strict deadlines.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year, renewable renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap
Applications procedure and process
All applications must be made through the application form in the bottom part of the BSC website and contain:
- A full CV in English including contact details
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
In accordance with the OTM-R principles, a gender-balanced recruitment panel is formed for every vacancy at the beginning of the process. After reviewing the content of the applications, the panel will start the interviews, with at least one technical and one administrative interview. A profile questionnaire as well as a technical exercise may be required during the process.
The panel will make a final decision and all candidates who had contacts with them will receive a feedback with details on the acceptance or rejection of their profile.
At BSC we are seeking continuous improvement in our recruitment processes, for any suggestions or feedback/complaints about our Recruitment Processes, please contact email@example.com.
For more information follow this link
OTM-R principles for selection processes
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
For more information follow this link
This position is reserved for candidates who meet the requirements and have the legal status of disabled persons with a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%. In case there are no applicants with disabilities that meet the requirements, the rest of the candidates without declared disability will be evaluated.