IRB Barcelona is a self-standing, non-profit institution devoted to basic and applied biomedical research. It was set up in 2005 jointly by the Government of Catalonia and the University of Barcelona and is located at the Barcelona Science Park. The institute currently has more than 430 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world, who work across disciplines to advance research in the biomedical sciences.
IRB Barcelona is seeking a talented and highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to join the Structural Bioinformatics and Network Biology group led by Dr. Patrick Aloy
For many years, small molecules have been the main asset of pharmaceutical companies. However, there is a productivity crisis and the massive release of small molecule bioactivity data has not transformed drug discovery to the extent ‘omics’ data has transformed other biomedical sciences. To address this issue, we have developed a knowledge-based framework to digest and organize publicly available or proprietary compound bioactivities and express them in a vector form (bioprints) that can be used out-of-the-box in daily computational drug discovery tasks. We now aim to build on the general expertise of the group to develop a systems pharmacology strategy to tackle complex diseases, finding small molecules able to modify the biology of the disease and revert its molecular signatures to healthy-like states.
- Development and benchmark of novel bioprints, combining small molecule bioactivity with embeddings of biological data.
- Identify therapeutic opportunities to treat complex, orphan, neglected diseases.
Must Have – Required
- Experience: previous experience in the integration and analyses of multi-Omics data
- Bachelor in Biosciences, or Engineering degree in Computer Sciences
- PhD in Bioinformatics, or related areas
- Excellent programming and scripting skills, with deep knowledge of Python
- Excellent knowledge of databases management (e.g. postgresSQL and Neo4j)
- Competent in the use of HPC queue systems, virtual machines (OpenNebula) and Grid Containers (Docker, Singularity)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly motivated person
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills in English
- Experience in International teams
- Previous experience working on complex, orphan or neglected diseases
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
How to apply
Applications for the above opening should include a CV and motivation letter and should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com with the Reference: PD/18/14
Deadline for applications: 31/12/2018 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter and experience.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.