The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 700 staff from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
We are looking for candidates with a technical background who will become part of the Operations Department of the Center and participate to the activities of the BSC Data Management team, supporting scientists with Data Applications, Data Services and tools. No previous working experience is requested, but an excellent academic record, and strong motivation to work within research data management.
- Contribute to the implementation and maintenance of data services connected to the distributed computing systems of the Center.
- Support the users of the Open Stack platform at BSC premises and with the Data Services deployed.
- Deploy and maintain solutions to manage scientific data according to requirements specified in research data management plans.
- Support BSC researchers to ensure the appropriate implementation of standards and methodologies for data management.
- Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or related scientific disciplines.
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Knowledge of distributed computing environments (HPC/HTC/Cloud).
- Excellent understanding of system administration of computing platforms like Hadoop and OpenStack
- Excellent knowledge of Big Data management functions and solutions for data transfer, storage, analysis, distribution, exploration, etc.
- Proven experience in working with large datasets and distributed file systems, SQL and noSQL, databases, data lakes, metadata management.
- Proven experience in UNIX/LINUX environments and scripting languages.
- Excellent computing skills in languages like C/C++, Java, Python, Spark
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Ability to work under set deadlines
- Ability to work independently and in a team to complete tasks on schedule
- Enthusiasm for working in a scientific research environment.
- Strong motivation for learning and acquiring expertise in Research Data Management
- Communication skills to teach and educate how to use the infrastructure
- The position will be located at BSC within the Operations Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: ASAP
All applications must send through the application form and must include the following documents:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until a suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
This position is reserved for candidates who meet the requirements and have the legal status of disabled persons with a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%. In case there are no applicants with disabilities that meet the requirements, the rest of the candidates without declared disability will be evaluated.
Original source: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/14421opdm