The Centro Nacional de Análisis Genómico (CNAG-CRG) is one of the largest Genome Sequencing Centers in Europe. CNAG-CRG researchers participate in major International Genomic Initiatives such as the International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC), the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC), the International Rare Diseases Research Consortium (IRDiRC) and the European Infrastructure for life-science information (ELIXIR), as well as in several EU-funded projects.
It is integrated with the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG shares principles of an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team that is supported by high-end and innovative technologies and a flexible and efficient administration.
CRG has been conferred with a badge of ‘HR Excellence in Research’ by the European Commission, in recognition to its progress in implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for Recruitment of Researchers, that among others consists of transparent, merit-based recruitment procedures and attractive work-life balance working conditions.
As a partner in the European Joint Programme on Rare Diseases the CNAG-CRG is looking for a software engineer to participate in the development tasks of the RD-Connect Genome-Phenome Analysis Platform (https://rd-connect.eu; https://platform.rd-connect.eu) using a mix of languages and tools to process and display the data. Technologies currently in use include Hadoop, ElasticSearch, Postgres, Scala. Angular and Python. Therefore, knowledge of multiple programming languages and paradigms and experience using large datasets would be an advantage.
About the Bioinformatics Analysis Unit
The selected candidate will join the Bioinformatics Analysis Unit led by Dr Sergi Beltran. The multi-disciplinary 18 member Unit is focused on NGS data analysis and tool development, mostly related to human health. The Unit develops de RD-Connect Genome-Phenome Analysis Platform and participates, among other, in the European Joint Programme on Rare Diseases, Solve-RD, URD-Cat, ELIXIR, MatchMaker Exchange and GA4GH.
Whom would we like to hire?
- You hold a BSc or higher in Software Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or similar.
- You have at least 1 year working experience as SW engineer or similar role in Unix operating systems.
- You have experience with software control version
- You are proactive and team worker.
Desirable but not required
- You hold a MSc or PhD degree
- You have experience with TDD
- You have experience with task automation
- You have experience with spark, hadoop, elasticsearch/solr , cassandra/hbase
- You have experience with distributed file systems
- You have experience with graph database (Janusgrpah, neo4j, etc..)
- You have knowledge of Bioinformatics / High Throughput Sequencing and/or human genetics.
- You are Interested in functional programming
- Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
- Target start date: May, 2019 (desirable)
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter addressed to Dr. Sergi Beltran.
- A complete CV including contact details.
All applications must be addressed to Dr. Sergi Beltran and be submitted online through the Apply website.
Deadline: Please submit your application by 10th of May, 2019