The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 650 staff from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
ELIXIR (European Life Science Infrastructure for Biological Information) is a pan-European organization founded in 2014, which aims to integrate and harmonize European bioinformatics infrastructures. ELIXIR coordinates the participation of more than 20 countries, engages with other strategic european initiatives and projects e.g. ESFRI, Research Data Alliance, EUDat, EGI; promotes specific training activities and workshops on ELIXIR resources, partners with industry, and play a key role in shaping the bioinformatics landscape. Spain is member of ELIXIR since 2015, with the INB as the Spanish national node. Within ELIXIR, the INB is responsible for the bioinformatics infrastructure offered by Spain, and therefore, should guarantee its alignment to the strategic areas put forward by ELIXIR.
In order to help ELIXIR coordinate and extend national and international data resources to ensure the delivery of world-leading life-science data services, the member states contribute to the ELIXIR central budget. It will support a pan-European training programme, anchored in national infrastructures, to increase bioinformatics capacity and competency. It will also provide efficiencies in management and operation throughout the infrastructure, which is distributed amongst 22 countries.
Tasks in the ELIXIR Scientific Programme 2019-2023 are associated with its technological platforms as well as with its communities.
In this context, OpenEBench (http://openebench.bsc.es) focuses on providing the infrastructure needed to host community-driven Scientific Benchmark activities and resources technical monitoring. This platform belongs to the ELIXIR Tools platform and is expected to be used by different communities e.g., proteomics, hCNV, IDP, and the 3D-Bioinfo.
- Contribute to deliverables and milestones set for OpenEBench in the context of the ELIXIR Scientific Programme 2019 - 2023.
- Contribute to the design, development, and maintenance of the OpenEBench front-end.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the INB/ELIXIR-ES web portal.
- Work together with other developers at INB/ELIXIR-ES and other ELIXIR nodes to ensure the appropriate implementation of previously agreed standards and methodologies.
- Software Engineer Degree or equivalent Bioinformatics related degrees.
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the design, implementation and deployment of relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL or similar) and/or non-relational databases (MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Cassandra).
- At least 2 years of professional experience on MVC frameworks, like Angular, Vue.JS and/or React.
- Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience with programming languages such as C++, Python and/or Java.
- Familiar with software containers technologies such as Dockers and/or Singularity.
- Fluency in English.
- Good writing and presentation skills.
- Used to work under pressure under strict deadlines.
- Strong personal soft-skills sets: Communicative, enthusiastic, highly collaborative, proactive, self-driven.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Experience on developing project technical specifications.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: 01/01/2021
All applications through the application form (end of the page) must include:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
This position is reserved for candidates who meet the requirements and have the legal status of disabled persons with a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%. In case there are no applicants with disabilities that meet the requirements, the rest of the candidates without declared disability will be evaluated.
Original source: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/38620lsinbre1