The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 650 staff from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
The Computational Biology group, led by ICREA professor Alfonso Valencia, is looking for a Junior Research Engineer for development of data science web apps for epidemiology to work on a recently granted project to develop and integrated geographical information systems (GIS) to monitor and analyze the COVID-19 outbreak and epidemiological trends and dynamics in Spain. The systems integrate heterogeneous sources of georeferenced data including daily reported cases as well cell phone-based mobility data. The project aims to develop an open GIS-based tool that generates periodic dashboards to facilitate the analysis of the current health state of the different as well as to highlight new potential risk zones.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic research group within the Life Sciences department, which integrates independent senior scientists that work on various aspects of computational biology and bioinformatics. The Researcher will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, will have access to systems and computational infrastructures, and will establish collaborations with experts in different areas.
The work will be carried out at the Computational Biology Group in collaboration with the Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute (INB) coordination node. The successful candidate will interact directly with the team of network analysis and modelling as well as with the development team. The specific candidate’s tasks will involve the development and application of web-based data analysis tools. As such, this job position will be in close relationship with researchers and research projects in a highly-specialized academic environment.
- Software implementation and maintenance
- Development of new features and extensions in existing software
- Data science web apps development
- Data analysis
- Participation in country-level COVID-19 projects
- BSc in Engineering (Computer science or similar)
- Desired, but not compulsory: additional background in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or similar
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience in web development and databases
- Vast experience working with Unix/Linux systems
- Basic Developer skills including version controls systems and testing
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Data analysis and visualization
- Geographical data handling
- Machine learning
- Network Analysis
- Spoken and written English
- Ability to understand technical literature, and software documentation
- Ability to communicate scientific results
- Ability to work in teams and independently
- Ability to interact with International partners
- Used to work under pressure under strict deadlines
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 4 months renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap
All applications must be uploaded through the application form and include:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
Original source: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/21820lscbre1