The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 650 staff from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
The Computational Biology group, led by ICREA professor Alfonso Valencia, is looking for a Junior Research Engineer for simulations in biomedicine to work in the context of a recently-granted European project that aims at the refactoring of system biology simulation tools for HPC and exascale architectures.
The successful candidate will join a dynamic research group within the Life Sciences department, which integrates independent senior scientists that work on various aspects of computational biology, ranging from bioinformatics for genomics and proteomics to computational biochemistry and text mining. The Researcher will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, will have access to systems and computational infrastructures, and will establish collaborations with experts in different areas.
The candidate will work closely with senior researchers Miguel Ponce-de-Leon and Arnau Montagud in the Computational Biology Group of the Life Sciences Department as well as other departments at the BSC, especially Computer Science (with the Workflows and Distributed Computing group and Performance Tools group) and Operations Department (with the High-Level Support Team). The work is in the framework of the research lines of the group, involving in personalized medicine, and the use and expansion of multiscale simulation tools.
The specific candidate’s tasks will involve the development and application of modeling and simulations approaches for biological networks with the aim of predicting the impact of alterations such as mutations as well as medical interventions in the dynamics of the system. As such, this job position will be in close relationship with researchers and research projects in a highly-specialized academic environment.
- Software maintenance
- Code refactoring, optimization and their benchmarking
- Development of test suites for different simulation engines
- Development of new features and extensions in existing software
- Participation in international projects
- BSc in Engineering (Computer science or similar)
- Desired, but not compulsory: additional background in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or similar
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Programming languages: C++, Python, Julia or similar
- Experience in distributed architectures: OpenMP, MPI
- Vast experience working with Unix/Linux systems
- Knowledge of HPC environment and Distributed architectures
- Basic Developer skills including version controls systems and testing
- Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Modelling and simulations: biological or otherwise
- Be familiar with container technologies
- Machine learning
- Numerical methods
- Spoken and written English.
- Ability to understand scientific literature, and software documentation
- Ability to communicate scientific results
- Ability to work within a team and independently
- Ability to interact with International partners
- Used to work under pressure under strict deadlines
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: September/October 2020
All applications must include these documents in the application form at the bottom of the linked page:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
Original source: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/13420lscbre1