Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC)
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 700 staff from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
The Comparative Genomics group (http://cgenomics.org) led by ICREA professor Toni Gabaldón, is looking for a postdoctoral researcher in Comparative transcriptomics of microbial eukaryotes. The project is centered on the use of comparative transcriptomics, bioinformatics, and evolutionary approaches in order to answer biologically relevant questions in the context of host-pathogen interactions and the emergence of virulence in fungal species. These questions will be solved using transcriptomic NGS data from model species, clinical, environmental, and artificially evolved strains from various pathogenic Candida species. The successful candidate will address multiple topics such as the emergence of virulence traits, hybridization, host-pathogen interactions, among others. The candidate will join a dynamic research group within the Life Sciences department. The researcher will work in a sophisticated HPC environment and will have access to systems and computational infrastructures. Priority will be given to highly motivated and proactive candidates with a biology-related background and with the ambition to further develop their research career in the field of computational genomics and biomedicine.
- Preparation and presentation of scientific articles.
- Collaborate in the preparation and presentation of scientific projects.
- Collaborate with various research groups across Europe and the United States.
- PhD in Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics or any field related to transcriptomics/genomics.
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience in python and R programming languages.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 31/12/2021 renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: 01/02/2021
All applications should be uploaded in the bottom web form and must include:
- A motivation letter with a statement of interest, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
Original source: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/42120lscgr2