Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011. The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a talented and experienced Research Assistant with deep expertise in development and maintenance of (web-based) scientific resources to join the lab of Dr. Patrick Aloy at the IRB Barcelona. The candidate will participate and perform the activities, tasks, and reports within the framework of the IMPaCT-Data project funded by ISCIII and FEDER.
The successful candidate will be expected to maintain the computational infrastructure of the SB&NB group, contributing with new ideas and technological updates. In addition, he/she will be responsible of the maintenance and continuous improvement of the systems biology resources that we offer to the scientific community, such as the Chemical Checker, Bioteque, Interactome3d, 3Did and dSysMap. The successful candidate will also be actively involved in cutting-edge research projects related to systems pharmacology, biological Big Data and AI.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS
Must Have – Required:
- Experience: Previous experience in the implementation and maintenance of web-based resources and HPC environments.
- Knowledge: Bachelor or Engineering degree in Computer Sciences or similar.
- Excellent knowledge of databases management (postgresSQL and Neo4j)
- HPC queue systems, virtual environments (OpenNebula) and Grid Containers (Docker, Singularity).
- Highly motivated, fluency in English and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience: Previous experience in research environments and international teams.
- Skills: Background in processing of Omics data would be an asset.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
- Working conditions:
- Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- We offer a full-time job, but we would also consider a part-time contract, depending on the needs and qualifications of the candidate. Additionally, days of remote-working could also be negotiated.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of an established research group.
- Continuous training in a high-quality and fast-evolving scientific environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
- Where to apply: Application link
- Deadline for applications: 30/09/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Selection process:
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.