The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 650 staff from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
The Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute (INB) is the major bioinformatics platform in Spain, and the Spanish representative in the European bioinformatics infrastructure ELIXIR. Since 2018, INB is be fully oriented to complete a solid integration with International Bioinformatics infrastructures including specifically the ELIXIR European consortium.
The INB Computational team is involved in a number of projects both at national and international level. In particular, in the context of the Cluster Emergent del Cervell Humà (CECH) project, we are building a computational platform (Neuroplat) to support the rational design of drugs in the context of neurologic diseases. We seek to provide an infrastructure to host a comprehensive database of neuro-relevant drugs and targets, together with an environment for drug design and optimization.
CECH project (expedient number 001-P-001682) has been co-financed in a 50% with 1.527.637,88€ by the European Union European Regional Development Fund within the Catalonian 2014-2020 Operative Programme FEDER, with the Generalitat de Catalunya Support.
- Manage and support Neuroplat resources, including computational equipment, databases, and software infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain software for the integration of biological data relevant to neurological diseases.
- Maintain communication with CECH project and participate in their regular meetings and discussions.
- Degree in bioinformatics related discipline
- Specific formation in bioinformatics
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a similar role.
- Experience in the design, implementation and deployment of NoSQL and SQL databases.
- Experience with advanced software packaging procedures
- Experience in the usage of cloud computing resources.
- At least 5 years of professional experience with programming languages such as C++, Perl, Python and/or Java.
- Fluency in English.
- Good writing and presentation skills.
- Used to work under pressure under strict deadlines.
- Strong personal soft skills sets: Communicative, enthusiastic, highly collaborative, proactive, self-driven.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Experience in developing project technical specifications.
- Large experience working with Unix/Linux systems.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year renewable (up to 2 years in total) renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: ASAP
All applications must include:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details
Applications should be sent filling the application form at the end of this website: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/10020lsinbre2
The vacancy will remain open until a suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
Original source: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/10020lsinbre2