A Senior (PhD) Bioinformatician position in the field of cancer data science is available in the Clinical and Traslational Cancer Research Laboratory of Dr Emilio Alba at the Institute of Biomedical Research in Malaga (IBIMA), Virgen de la Victoria Hospital, Medical Oncology Unit.
The overarching goal of the Alba's Lab is to investigate the use of circulating tumour components in the clinical management of cancer patients, to study the interaction and impact of microbiota and cancer during disease and treatment and to explore early cancer epigenetic markers, in the more traslational perspective. On top of that, the laboratory offers Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) services to the Malaga's hospitals to support treatment personalization to cancer patients. Dr Alba's laboratory is part of the IBIMA institute and have multitude of well-funded national and international active translational projects in need of an active bioinformatic assistance.
We seek a highly motivated candidate to develop custom bioinformatic pipelines as well as statistical and machine learning solutions for the NGS projects and services offered by the laboratory.
About the IBIMA institute
The IBIMA institute is an institution for multidisciplinary biomedical investigation that unites and combines efforts and resources from the main public hospitals, health care centres and the University of Málaga. IBIMA integrates more than 50 research groups from the university and the health public system.
The institute activities rely in the Andalusian Public Health System and promote translational research to increase the transference of scientific investigations to the clinic and provide insights in medical prevention, diagnostic and treatment.
Qualifications and Job Details
- Degree Required: Ph.D. or equivalent
- Location: Malaga, Spain
- Appointment Type: Position with a contract per project according to the law of Science.
- Work Schedule: Full-time position
- Stipend: Commensurate with experience
- REQUIRED SKILLS: Applicants should have a Ph.D. in computational sciences with high proficiency in bioinformatics, statistics, and machine learning. A strong computational background and proficiency in programming language (e.g., R, Python, Perl, C++, Java), in Linux and cluster environments, and knowledge of biostatistics are required. Experience in working with NGS data.
- PREFERRED SKILLS: Ability to develop custom pipelines and other large-scale epigenomics data analysis is highly preferred. A good understanding of cancer epi/genomics and biology, immunology research, microbiota identification and drug response mechanisms are also preferred. Mentoring capacity is appreciated.
How to Apply
- Three References
- Cover Letter
- Summary of Research Experience
Deadline: The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Contact: Itziar Ochoterena firstname.lastname@example.org