The Biocomputing Unit at the Institute for Health Sciences in Aragon (IACS) is looking for an exceptional Senior Data Scientist to lead new research projects based on the value of genomics and proteomics information to create useful information and incorporate them to the daily medical practice for better and more personalized healthcare services as well as to support other research groups.
The Institute for Health Sciences in Aragon (IACS) supports stable research and innovation groups in the areas of clinical and translational medical research, biomedicine, public health, health systems and policy research. As part of its support to biomedical research, we provide specialized scientific services through our 10 Research Core Facilities covering Genomics, Proteomics, Cell Culture and Flow Cytometry, Anatomic Pathology and Microscopy, Medical Imaging and Phenotyping and Experimental Surgery. Moreover, IACS is the regional authority for authorizing and monitoring (private and public) randomized control clinical trials as well as post authorization observational studies for drugs and devices.
The candidate will join the Biocomputing Unit, an enthusiastic team directly involved in the Aragón Regional Health Authority BIGAN project, a Big Data infrastructure for research in healthcare; and the Spanish National Health Service Clinical Practice Guidelines Program BiGS project, a Smart Digital Library to answer patient and healthcare professionals using all available evidence.
The aim for this position is to lead a new genomic and proteomic medicine service for the regional healthcare system in close collaboration with the Genomics and Proteomics Unit at the Institution as well as to support researchers from different groups by delivering custom analyses, facilitating access to datasets and ensuring optimal use of the Genomics and Proteomics Data generated and developing research within the multidisciplinary team.
- A PhD in a quantitative or biological discipline such as Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or Biochemistry with at least 6 years of postdoctoral work in fields related to statistical genetics, genomics, or proteomics. More info at https://araid.es/en/content/international-call-recruitment-researchers-2017
- trong evidence of experience in genomics/proteomics research and data analysis using large genomic datasets of next generation sequencing data alongside clinical data relevant to Genomics/Proteomics. Strong publication record in the field
- Experience with Unix operating systems, including shell scripts.
- Skilled programmer in languages such as Python and R
- Excellent experience on tools such as Torrent Suite/Ion Reporter, SAMTools SAMTools, Picard, TMAP, GATK, ANNOVAR, Ensembl perl API, Tophat, R-Bioconductor, Mascot, ProteinPilot, SameSpots, PDQuest, ProteinPilot, GO, IPA, KEGG, Reactome, Cytoscape, Osprey and String, Skyline, Multiquant... to problem solve and answer research questions.
- Experience with cloud-scale data processing and high-performance computing
- Experience using of databases and public repositories.
- Able to take initiative, but also able to work as part of a cohesive team of researchers/scientists.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and/or Spanish
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of motivation and focus, and to complete tasks according to priorities with minimal supervision.
(original source Senior Data Scientist_OMICS)