IRB Barcelona is a self-standing, non-profit institution devoted to basic and applied biomedical research. It was set up in 2005 jointly by the Government of Catalonia and the University of Barcelona and is located at the Barcelona Science Park. The institute currently has more than 430 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world, who work across disciplines to advance research in the biomedical sciences.
IRB Barcelona seeks to recruit a Software Developer to join the lab of Dr.Núria López-Bigas, Barcelona Biomedical Genomics Lab.
We are searching for a highly motivated software developer to work in a Cancer Genomics Research group. The position is to work on the development of bioinformatics tools, she/he will be developing the web front-end and also improving the analysis pipeline in close collaboration with postdocs and software engineers. The ideal candidate would have software development experience with Python, knowledge in data analysis, web development, database management and servers administration. Active involvement in open source projects will be an asset. She/he should have strong analytical skills, in addition to creativity, curiosity, enthusiasm, and ability to work in a team. The candidate will participate and perform the activities, tasks, and reports within the framework of the INB project funded by ISCIII and FEDER (ref: PT17/0009/0013).
The BBGLab is a strong interdisciplinary and international research team with unique expertise in the analysis of tumor genomics data. Publications in http://bbglab.irbbarcelona.org
The successful candidate will participate in the development, update improvement and maintenance of different tools developed within the Group. In particular, the applicant will be responsible for the development and maintenance of:
- Cancer Genome Interpreter
- Other tools and services assigned by the PI
In addition, the candidate will:
- Provide assistance and support to several research projects
- Prepare Technical Reports in cooperation with the PI
Must Have – Required:
- A Technical Professional Training in Computer Science (CFGM, CFGS) or equivalent working experience.
- Programming skills.
- Fluency in English.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in international teams.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
- Strong programming skills, ideally in Python (including data analysis, visualization and exploration packages, such as numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, matplotlib, seaborn, jupyter-notebook).
- Experience in collaborative software development using Git.
- Experience with Linux environments and Linux systems administration.
- Experience in web development (front-end and back-end).
- Experience with DataBases (relational and non-relational).
- Familiarity with high performance computing (parallel execution, computational pipelines, workload managers…).
- Experience in bioinformatics.
- Familiarity with software engineering concepts and methodologies.
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative research team, and ability to comply with tight deadlines.
- Willingness to learn if missing any of the above.
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of an established research group.
- Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
How to apply
Applications for the above opening should include CV, a letter of interest and the Form Attached completed, and should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com, Reference: LAB/19/03
- Deadline for applications: 23/04/2019 When the applicants do not fit the requirements, the deadline will be able to be extended.
- Number of positions available: 1
- Selection process:
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter and experience.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Offered Position: Job Offer will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.