IDIBELL is looking for a Trainee Bioinformatician for the Bioinformatics Unit
IDIBELL is a research center that integrates the biomedical research of the Bellvitge University Hospital (HUB), the Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO), and the University of Barcelona in the Bellvitge Campus (UB), and the Viladecans Hospital (HV). The research focuses of IDIBELL are cancer, neuroscience, translational medicine and regenerative medicine. Research, innovation and society are the pivots on which researchers work every day in order to improve the quality of life of citizens.
IDIBELL is located in L’Hospitalet de Llobregat, south of Barcelona. It is a member of the Campus of International Excellence of the University of Barcelona (HUBc) and Research Centers of Catalonia (CERCA). In 2009, it became one of the first five Spanish research centers accredited as a health research institute by the Health Institute Carlos III. In 2015, the European Commission recognized IDIBELL with the ‘HR Excellence in Research’ award, which identifies IDIBELL as a provider and supporter of a stimulating research work environment.
About the research group
The IDIBELL Bioinformatics Unit (IBU) started the activity in 2018. The mission is to provide all researchers at the Bellvitge Campus scientific consulting, methodological support and technological resources on bioinformatics to enhance both the number and the quality of research projects where omics data are involved.
IBU staff has over 15 years’ experience in experimental design, omics and integrative data analyses, databases and ontologies management, pipelines and tools development, as well as a long experience in teaching formal education and training activities in the fields of omics data and bioinformatics.
The IBU is member of the Translational Bioinformatics Network (TransBioNet) impulsed and coordinated by the Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute (INB) and participates on behalf of the IDIBELL in the activity of Barcelona Bioinformatics (BIB) and CERCA Institute.
About the role
The successful candidate will join the IDIBELL Bioinformatics Unit, bearing responsibility of the following tasks
- Development of a bioinformatics tool devoted to help researchers to estimate the sample size.
- Participate in omics data analysis tasks.
- Assist with the implementation of computational pipelines using the workflow management systems Snakemake or Nextflow.
- Support with the development, implementation and maintenance of databases.
- Drafting of technical documentation.
- Support with the development and drafting of teaching materials for researchers.
- Hands on programming experience
- Hands on experience with main bioinformatics tools and resources
Education and training
- University degree in Bioinformatics, Data Science or related related fields.
- High level of statistical knowledge
- Applicant must work comfortably in Linux Systems (administration level).
- High level on scripting languages (R, Python, Java,…)
- Programming and management knowledge of both SQL-based and noSQL-based systems
- Good command of the English language (at least B2 level)
- Candidates must, at least, understand Catalan and Spanish
- Interested in biomedical research and in computational methods to answer biological questions linked to clinical questions.
- Motivated, enthusiastic, customer oriented and highly collaborative person.
- Ability to communicate in non-technical terms to non-technical people
We will value, but not required
- Master in Bioinformatics, Omics Data Science or related fields.
- Knowledge of high-throughput data analysis.
- Nº of positions: 1 full time trainee contract
- Start date: 01/10/2021
- Contract duration: 6 months
- Estimated annual gross salary: 22.000€ gross
We provide a highly stimulating working environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional development opportunities.
IDIBELL is committed to the principles of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers of the European Commission and the implementation of open, transparent and merit-based recruitment (OTM-R) practices.
We offer and promote diverse and inclusive working conditions and applicants are made free from any discrimination based on age, national original, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
We are committed to reconciliation of work and family life such as employees can benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must be sent by the application form and include the following:
- A motivation letter addressed to the Head of the Bioinformatics Unit, Dr. Jose Luis Mosquera
- A CV including contact information
- Contact details of two referees
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will consist on an eligibility check based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidate’s CV.
- Interview: Best positioned, pre-selected candidates may be called to arrange an interview. Candidates will be interviewed by the hiring manager and an ad hoc selection panel.
- Formal offer letter: Once identified, the People Management Unit will send a job offer to the successful candidate indicating start date, salary, working conditions, and any additional relevant details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by 15 September 2021.
Data protection notice
IDIBELL ensures that applicants’ personal data are processed as required by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Spanish Law 3/2018 on Data Protection. Personal data is processed solely for the purpose of the selection procedure.
The ‘HR Excellence in Research’ award represents IDIBELL’s commitment to the implementation of Human Resources policies, which oversee the attracting and development of talent in an open, transparent, and based on personal merit, in alignment with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment Researchers (Charter and Code).
This contract is thanks to Servei Públic d’Ocupació de Catalunya; de la Generalitat de Catalunya i de la Unió Europea via el Fons Social Europeu i a la Iniciativa d’Ocupació Juvenil. “El Fons Social Europeu inverteix en el teu futur”.