Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC)
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 700 staff from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
The Text Mining Unit of the BSC-CNS (TeMU-BSC) is funded through the Plan de Impulso de las Tecnologías del Lenguaje de la Agenda Digital, by the Secretary of State of Telecommunications and the Information. It is the first publicly funded text mining unit in Spain and has the aim to promote the development of natural language processing and machine translation resources for Spanish and other co-official languages in the area of biomedicine.
We search for a technician to develop web platforms and associated APIs for the current research projects in the Text Mining Unit within the Life Sciences Department.
- Development of front-end platforms and associated APIs for the current research projects in the Life Sciences department.
- Contribute to ensure appropriate user experience at the developed front-ends in bioinformatic applications.
- Administration task on servers, operating systems and applications.
- Server and system back-up management.
- Database administration, (MySQL, MongoDB).
- Manage virtual machines which act as web servers, control automatic backups and manage users.
- At least CFGS (higher-education diploma awarded on completion of professional education and training) in web development or equivalent.
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience working with Unix/Linux systems.
- Experience in using Git.
- Experience in microservices software architecture.
- Experience with back-end frameworks, like Spring, Django or Laravel.
- Experience with front-end frameworks, like Angular, Vue and/or React will be highly appreciated.
- Knowledge in bioinformatic tools and applications.
- Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Familiar with software containers technologies such as Docker and/or Singularity.
- Familiar with design, implementation and deployment of relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL or similar) and/or non-relational databases (MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Cassandra).
- Experience in designing, implementing and documenting data management APIs.
- Experience with programming languages such as Ruby, Python and/or Java.
- Experience on developing project technical specifications.
- Experience in testing of applications.
- Knowledge in life sciences.
- Fluent in Spanish and capacity to work in English.
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year, renewable renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: ASAP
All applications through this BSC website (bottom form) must include:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considere
- A full CV in English including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Original source: https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/1320lstmre1